[Serusers] RFC3261 Section 8.2.6.1

Jan Janak jan at iptel.org
Fri Apr 29 14:52:09 CEST 2005

On 27-04-2005 09:56, Java Rockx wrote:
> Hi All. This section of the RFC states this:
>
> 8.2.6.1 <http://8.2.6.1> Sending a Provisional Response
>
> One largely non-method-specific guideline for the generation of
> non-INVITE request. Rather, UASs SHOULD generate a final response to
> a non-INVITE request as soon as possible.
>

> Does this mean SER should never send a 1xx response for anything except
> INVITE messages?

   Yes. The specification assumes that other requests are processed by
   machines and machines can generate a reply fast enough. I do not know
   if this holds though. I have seen scenarios at past SIPIts where it
   took over 15 seconds to get a SIP request from UAC to UAS through
   approximately 8 proxies (most time was spent in DNS queries).

     Jan.