[Serusers] HELP: set max_contacts parameter on registrar module fail

Jan Janak jan at iptel.org
Fri Apr 29 14:47:31 CEST 2005

On 27-04-2005 21:32, Charles Wang wrote:
> Hi, Jan:
>
> In fact, I am afraid of too many UACs make calls to each others. So I
> want to limit the max total registers in order to limit the max online
> calls.

  In fact, a single user agent could handle several calls
  simultaneously, so this would not work. SER does not keep the track of
  number of simultaneous calls, so this is hard to do.

> Do you have any solution to limit the max online calls or max registers??

  No, so far it was not needed.

> If too many UACs make calls to each others, all people have no enough
> bandwidth to get good quility of voice.

  This is what QoS (Quality of Service) was invented for. Bandwidth
  management is a hard problem and most people just ignore it.

  If you are using an RTP proxy for all calls then it would be posssible
  to track the number of active calls there. Then you could write the
  value into database and let SER read it. If the value exceeds some
  preconfigured treshold then you could simply deny the INVITE. But this
  solution is not very nice and even using this you cannot guarantee the
  quality of calls, because bandwidth requirements can change in the
  middle of a call.

    Jan.