[Serusers] B2BUA and NAT.

Alex Mack amack at fhm.edu
Fri Apr 15 14:33:55 CEST 2005

Hi Amos!

STUN would also work with cascaded NATs. The STUN client gets the public
IP of the last NAT. That's the IP the STUN server "sees" as the
originating IP of the STUN request. But your limited to the most
restricted NAT in the path - if there's a symmetric NAT involved, no
media (without RTP relay) will work.

RTP Proxying or relaying forces the UAs to send their RTP streams
actively to a RTP relay (with public IP) reachable by both parties.
After the first packet of each party has arrived the relay knows which
way to send the packets back in order to reach the UAs. This way you can
traverse any NAT-type (even cascaded) if the clients support symmetric
RTP (sending and recieivng over the same port number).

Alex Mack