[Serusers] Not ANOTHER silly NAT question...

Fri Apr 15 10:22:44 CEST 2005

Rod Bacon wrote:
> Well.. it probably is.
>
> I have had mixed success with SER 0.8.14 and RTPPROXY. I have RADIUS
> auth, accounting, MYSQL, blah, blah, blah, all working....
>
> My question, however, surrounds NAThelper configuration. If I leave all
> clients behind NATs to attempt registration with private IPs, fix the
> IPs with NAThelper and proxy the streams, then everything works OK.
>
> If I inroduce a client that is on a LIVE IP address, I only get one-way
> audio to a natted client (the natted client can't hear the live client).
> I assume that what is happening is that the live client is attempting to
> send it's audio direct to the natted client, instead of via the proxy.

You have to use nathelper+rtpproxy as soon as one of the clients is
behind NAT. E.g. if the public client calls the natted client, you also
have to use rtpproxy. Thus, you have to setup a reply route.

nat_uac_test detects only if the caller is natted.
To detect if the callee is NATed, use the nat_flag parameter:
http://lists.iptel.org/pipermail/serusers/2003-December/004412.html

regards,
klaus