[Serusers] Instant messages directly from sender to receiver

Daniel-Constantin Mierla daniel at voice-system.ro
Mon Apr 11 16:56:26 CEST 2005

On 04/11/05 12:52, Jffdsaklj dsjk wrote:

>Is it possible to configure SER in order to avoid that instant
>messages go through SER, instead of directly to the receiver of the
>message?.

To avoid the client to send subsequent requests within a dialog through
the proxy you must not use record routing.

>After opening a session for instant messages, we have to send a lot of
>instant messages.

What extension for instant messaging does your client implement?  Is it
rfc3428 or is the "session" model? In rfc3428, the instant message is a
stand alone, and would be rather impossible to avoid sending the IM to
proxy. The "session" model follows the INVITE/BYE mechanism, so a dialog
is created and subsequent IMs can use the contact address of the other
party.

> In order to improve the performance, it would be
>recommendable that these instant messages don't go through SER proxy,
>as the video/audio streaming does.

Audio/video streams don't go through SIP proxy unless you use a media
relay (rtpproxy or mediaproxy) together with ser.