[Serusers] NAT NAT..and a little more NAT

Java Rockx javarockx at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 08:49:47 CEST 2005

Greger is correct about me "mostly supporting" ATAs with public IPs.

Our approach is the 80/20 rule. We ship UTstarcom iAN-02EX ATAs which
have full router support (ie, they have a WAN and LAN interface). We
encourage our customers to connect the WAN port directly to their
broadband router and then connect their home network to the LAN port
of the ATA.

This allows us to route most RTP traffic away from our network, which
is smart for scaling your VoIP platform.

In cases where a customer connectes their WAN port of the ATA to their
home network, the ATA then gets an RFC1918 IP address, and we must
proxy all RTP streams for that customer.

Again, we're shooting for the 80/20 rule. If we convince 80% of our
customers to hook up their ATA "correctly" then our infrastructure is
less stressed.

Regards,
Paul