[Serusers] NAT NAT..and a little more NAT

Iqbal iqbal at gigo.co.uk
Sat Apr 2 20:34:49 CEST 2005

Heres my understanding...hope it helps (may even confuse), and looking
for corrections...its a long read

1. There are 4 different types of NAT
a) Full Cone
b) restricted cone
c) port restricted
d) symmetric

a,b,c are also referred to as asymmetric NAT.

2. SIP has a problem because the siganalling uses one path and the media
stream another.

3. Full cone - Anyone of the internet can send packets to the IP:port
combo, this is mapped to a internal IP:port.

4. Restricted Cone - Only those external PC which have been contacted are
ALLOWED to contact via the mapping, i.e if I contact PC(a) from internal
Ip 10.1.1.1:123 then PC(a) can contact me on that NAT mapping, PC(b)
cannot

10.1.1.1:123 ---NAT ---> 202.70.65.78:10000 ------pc(a)
If pc(b) sends to 202.70.65.78:10000 there will be nothing sent through
to 10.1.1.1:123

5. Port restricted Cone - Same as restricted but instead of just
detecting that the source IP is that of pc(a), it also looks to see if
the source port is the same

10.1.1.1:123 --->NAT---->202.70.65.78:10000 -----> pc(a)
[213.123.324.34:8000]

The nat will only accept inbound from 213.123.324.34 and if it comes from
port 8000

6. Symmetric - This is the easy one,
10.1.1.1:1000 ----NAT -----> 200.123.123.34:1234 ----pc(a)
10.1.1.1:1000 ----NAT -----> 200.123.123.34:2222----pc(b)

In the NAT the IP:port pair is different for each external client, so
eeach external client has a mapping of its own

7. The problem RTP

In RTP the message body has the info needed for the UA to communicate
successfully. This body is called the SDP message. The problem is that
the client doesnt know anything about the NAT, hence the IP addresses
which are contained in the SDP are usually the internal ones, i.e what
the client knows....so when the endpoints want to "talk" they look at
the IP in the message and you get nothing because these are usually
internal IP addresses.

EG

INVITE sip:040600 at 192.168.20.2:5060 SIP/2.0.
Record-Route: <sip:143.248.130.35;ftag=3a7ceb24a6ac50c4;lr=on>.
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 143.248.130.35;branch=z9hG4bK758e.976609c7.0.
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP
192.168.20.3;rport=1024;received=223.178.140.109;branch=z9hG4bK34efcab2403aa20d.