[Serusers] open source g729

Tjapko Smits itsc99 at cantv.net
Sun Sep 26 18:29:59 CEST 2004

Hi,

I have a somewhat off-topic issue about this codec thing.

If you look into the code you can see that it is only there for
educational purposes and that the code is copyrighted and should check
www.sipro.com before actually using it in any operational environment.

I have seen this codec item so many times and I wonder why people always
are running in circles doing the same thing trying to use some sort of g729
implementation without paying for the license.

It is not that I like to pay for this stupid patented G729 license but everybody
has to consider when using G729 in whatever software application that there is
some 15k setup fee.

The real  topic here is that g729 is necessary because some part of your setup
requires g729 or g723 to achieve low bandwith consumption while the whole "old fashioned"
telephone industry works with g711 g729 g723 and we still use this to terminate our
PSTN traffic.( Not yet iLBC or GSM or speech or G726)

So in stead of discussing the implementation of G729 or G723 over and over
again it is maybe time to form a workgroup that tries to achieve a
transparent opensource replacement of mentioned codec's that can be used
in whatever application.

After all VoIP is there to lower the cost of traditional Voice traffic and
you might imagine that not everybody is happy with this. So do not forget
the commercial influence on this subject.

You should expect that in this billion dollar VoIP industry this codec issue
was taken care of long time ago but unfortunately it is not.

Sorry to bother you guys with this off topic item and keep on doing
the excellent SER job.

+/*
+ * G729 codec for Asterisk
+ *
+ * Based on sample applications from Intel Performance Primitives (IPP)
+ * libraries.
+ *
+ * For Intel IPP licensing, see http://www.intel.com
+ *
+ * For G.729(,A,B) royalty payments, see http://www.sipro.com
+ *   WARNING: please make sure you are sitting down before looking
+ *            at their price list.
+ *
+ * This source file is Copyright (C) 2004 Ready Technology Limited
+ * This code is provided for educational purposes and is not warranted
+ * to be fit for commercial use.  There is no warranty of any kind.
+ *
+ * Author: daniel at readytechnology.co.uk
+ */
+