[Serusers] How necessary is DNS in SIP ?

Lucas Aimaretto lucas at cyneric.com
Wed Sep 15 21:58:12 CEST 2004

The question is just about that in the subject ...
Do I need, as Dan Austin's howto says, a DNS SVR Resrouce Record, or can
I just use IP numbers, instead of names ? The thing is I have some
doubts:

- the variable SIP_DOMAIN needs to be a name or can it be just an IP
number ?
- if so, I believe that at the ser.cfg file, I can put uri="a.b.c.d"
instead of uri="mydomain.com"
- if so, I can write down if (!www_authorize("a.b.c.d", .... ) instead
of if (!www_authorize("mydomain.com", .... )
- how is related the sip domain to the host name and domain, set both
respectively by hostname and domainname commands in linux ?? In other
words, does the domain name of my host needs to be the sip domain ?
- what is a realm ?

Thanx a lot

Lucas

---