[Serusers] NAT and private addressing questions

Allan voip_tango at yahoo.ca
Thu Oct 28 02:56:15 CEST 2004

Hello,

I have over the last few weeks been trying to get ser
to work with rtpproxy and NAT.  Today I was finally
able to make calls from and to a privately addressed
UA located behind a NAT device.

My questions are regarding the NAT example config that
is included with the CVS and the section dealing with
private addressing.  In order for my calls to go
through I had to remove one of the private ranges from
the following section:

route[1]
{
        # !! Nathelper
        if
(uri=~"[@:](192\.168\.|172\.(1[6-9]|2[0-9]|3[0-1])\.)"
&& !search("^Route:")){
            sl_send_reply("479", "We don't forward to
private IP addresses");
            break;
        };

Why is there a need to restrict what goes to rtpproxy?
 Is it related to how nathelper flags a NATed UA?  I
think the nathelper module identifies a NATed UA by
looking to see if the via and received parameters are
different.  There is also a note regarding private
addressing (RFC 1918).  Can someone clarify this
relationship?

Thank you in advance,
Allan