[Serusers] About MySQL wait_timeout

Ezequiel Colombo ecolombo at arcotel.net
Thu Oct 21 16:03:26 CEST 2004

In SER configured to work with MySQL database i see after some period of
inactivity (of SER to DB) that MySQL close socket connections of SER due to
wait_timeout (or interactive_timeout) expiration. I like known if this is a
"normal" operation or affect SER work. I need known what happens with this
closed connections, if it are re-opened when SER need or not and if exist
any workaround for this.

... from server mysql logs:
041021 10:53:27  Aborted connection 16 to db: 'ser' user: 'ser' host:
`localhost' (Got timeout reading communication packets)

... from mysql documentation:
interactive_timeout
The number of seconds the server waits for activity on an interactive
connection before closing it. An interactive client is defined as a client
that uses the CLIENT_INTERACTIVE option to mysql_real_connect(). See also
wait_timeout.

wait_timeout
The number of seconds the server waits for activity on a non-interactive
connection before closing it. On thread startup, the session wait_timeout
value is initialized from the global wait_timeout value or from the global
interactive_timeout value, depending on the type of client (as defined by
the CLIENT_INTERACTIVE connect option to mysql_real_connect()). See also
interactive_timeout.

Thanks
Ezequiel Colombo