[Serusers] SER and Windows messenger 5

john hess jhess at berkeley.edu
Wed Oct 20 20:35:16 CEST 2004

a couple things to check -

in the ser config:
- iirc the domain needs to match the hostname (fqdn) of the ser box, and
that it matches what is used in the registration authorization challenge;

on the client box:
- is it running a personal fw that may be (silently) blocking the either
one or both of the registration attempt or the challenge from ser?  i
ran into this with symantec client fw on xp. as at test, i disabled the
fw on the client -- instead of the "...service is temporarily
unavailable."  messenger prompted me for the passwd associated with the
username;

john