[Serusers] Avoiding storing passwords in mysql "subscriber" tablein clear-text

karl ser_newbie at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 15 08:41:57 CEST 2004

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your feedback.

Actually, as suggested by Antonio from another mail, I have already tried adding the following modparam statements in the ser.cfg file:

modparam("auth_db", "calculate_ha1", 0)
modparam("auth_db", "password_column", "ha1")

.... and their effect is such that user authentication makes use of the hashed password in the "ha1" password column created during user creation using "serctl add" command.

On the other hand, what I am really after is that on user creation using serctl add command, the password column "password" is not left in plain text.  Is this possible? or is it still required for SerWeb authentication?

One final thing, I have not added the following modparam statement:

modparam("auth_db", "user_column", "username")

.... it is so by default.

Thanks

Karl

Dave Bath <dave at fuuz.com> wrote:v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }
Hey Karl,

It might be possible to use encrypted mysql passwords – someone else on the list seems to have mentioned that it might be possible, but I haven’t used this before.  Otherwise, use radius authentication and it’s up to you how you get radius to store the passwords (which could be in a mysql database…) hope that helps slightly?!

Dave