[Serusers] Ring timeout

Steve Blair blairs at isc.upenn.edu
Thu Oct 14 01:19:25 CEST 2004

Hee Hee Hee. This issue has gotten alot of chatter on this list.
I'm sure there are articles on the SER list about this.

Short answer is not yet. fr_inv_timer is the timer you want to
adjust to control the "ring count" but it is not a ring timer. It is a
timer for how long to wait for a final response to an invite. So
adjust carefully.

I've tried running another instance of ser on the same box but a
different port and domain. This instance becomes my inbound
proxy and my  PSTN gateways point to this instance of the proxy
via an SRV record that points to the servers actual A record and
new port number.

Then the first thing my config did was rewrite the domain name
to match that used by my outbound proxy. This way I have one
database, users have one domain and the magic happens within
the config file. It worked for a little while but then the proxy
stopped answering inbound calls.

You could create the same thing using a physically different box for
your inbound proxy and a different version of SER. You could then
adjust the fr_inv_timer on that box and have t different than the
same timer on your outbound proxy (where you want a longer timer).

If you find a better solution I'd like to hear about it.