[Serusers] SER and re-INVITE (ACK for 488 msg)

Chuck Ramirez chuck_ramirez at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 7 22:04:28 CEST 2004

Hello guys,

I'm trying to understand what is happening with SER
and re-INVITEs (for T.38 fax).

I have the follwing scenario:

ATA -> Session Border(NAT) -> SER -> Cisco Gateway

The ATA connects to the Cisco gateway for a voice call
and when the gateway receives a fax tone is starts a
re-INVITE to try to negotiate T38 parameters. Then ATA
responds with 488 Not Supported Here and SER sends a
ACK back to the ATA before sending 488 to the gateway.

In this ACK it seems that SER is adding an extra route
header as the INVITE that was sent to the ATA had only
one route header. Why SER is adding two route headers?

I'm attaching ngrep logs to this mail (with some
further comments), where:

The IP 10.0.0.19 is the Proxy
The IP 10.0.0.67 is the gateway
The IP 10.0.0.18 is the Session Border (NAT)

Thanks in advance,

Chuck.

http://vote.yahoo.com