[Serusers] PA module + registration handling

Dave Bath dave at fuuz.com
Tue Oct 5 12:13:24 CEST 2004

Hey guys,

Many apologies if im just being totally dense on this one, but I've been
going back and forth for a few days now, and given how new the presence
module is there doesn't seem to be huge amounts of documentation on it.

I'm attempting to get the PA module for the latest (as of a few days
ago) CVS to work.  All other config bits in ser seem to work fine.  I
think perhaps my confusion is also about how it's supposed to work!
Perhaps if I could ask some questions, people could fill in where they
know the answers, or point me to the right place.

I had in my config:

    if (method=="SUBSCRIBE" || method=="PUBLISH") { # BEGIN
method==subscribe

      if (t_newtran()) {

        log(1,"PRESENCE: Change of state detected\n");

        handle_subscription("registrar");

        break;

      };

    };

And like this, a presence aware client could register ok, and I could
see from the debug outputs that they had registered, and when I tried to
add new contacts to the "buddy list" subscribe requests were being
issued.   However, I have not yet seen any publish requests.  Do I need
to use the function handle_publish? Whenever this subscribe request
happened,  I see some errors in the syslog:

Oct  5 10:59:52 sip ser[15409]: PRESENCE: Change of state detected

Oct  5 10:59:52 sip ser[15409]: handle_subscription() entered

Oct  5 10:59:52 sip ser[15409]: parse_hfs(): Error while parsing headers

Oct  5 10:59:52 sip ser[15409]: handle_subscription(): Error while
parsing message header

Oct  5 10:59:52 sip ser[15409]: handle_subscription about to send_reply
and return -2

Also, I am a bit confused about registrations... as there is the
function pa_handle_registration... Originally I did not modify the
registration code, but when I tried to add this:

 if (method=="REGISTER") {  # BEGIN method==Register checking

      if(t_newtran()){

        pa_handle_registration("registrar");

        break;

      };

... etc, before my regular registration code, normal (voice) clients
could no longer register and I got errors such as :

Oct  5 11:02:59 sip ser[15706]: parse_hfs(): Error while parsing headers

Oct  5 11:02:59 sip ser[15706]: pa_handle_registration(): Error while
parsing headers

So I guess my question about that is, do presence-aware clients need to
registered differently? And if so, how do you make sure you don't send
your normal voice clients into that registration as well?

Any guidance on how to these functions are supposed to integrate would
be very very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance for all the help this list provides..

Dave

-------------------------------------
Dave Bath
dave-at-fuuz-dot-com
www.fuuz.com <http://www.fuuz.com/>
07736 232085

NOTE: The information contained in this email is intended for the named
recipients only, it may be privileged and confidential. If you are not
the intended recipient, you must not copy distribute or take any action
in reliance upon it. No warranties or assurances are made in relation to
the safety and content of this email and any attachments. No liability
is accepted for any consequences arising from it