[Serusers] thoughts on a serweb rewrite

Java Rockx javarockx at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 4 03:09:30 CEST 2004

Hello Everyone.

I have two questions to pose and/or points to raise:

Question 1
----------

I'm not 100% convinced that running a web server (ie, serweb) on a SIP proxy
(ie, ser) is a good idea.

Suppose someone were to have 500,000 users signed up for VoIP services and many
of them used serweb to manage things like speed dial numbers, etc, etc.

IMHO, the web stuff should be seperate from the SIP stuff. If the HTTP traffic
demands are 10 times greater than the SIP demands, how can one scale the SIP or
HTTP services independently of one another?

Aside from the ser FIFO requirements that serweb has, is there any reason this
cannot or should not be different physical servers?

Question 2

Has anyone ever suggested porting serweb to phpMVC which is the PHP port of the
Apache Jakarta Struts framework? I know the serweb appearance can be modified
using the <serweb>/templates/*tpl files, but would an MVC framework make more
sense?

All responses and feedback are much welcome.
Cheers,
Paul