[Sems] Re: [Serusers] open source g729

Juha Heinanen jh at tutpro.com
Sat Oct 2 16:04:43 CEST 2004

Tjapko Smits writes:

 > The real topic here is that g729 is necessary because some part of
 > your setup requires g729 or g723 to achieve low bandwith consumption
 > while the whole "old fashioned" telephone industry works with g711
 > g729 g723 and we still use this to terminate our PSTN traffic.( Not
 > yet iLBC or GSM or speech or G726).

ilbc is supported by many sip phones and also at least by asterisk and
sems pstn gws.  it may just be a short matter of time before ilbc
support is also in cisco gws, since cable labs recently chose it for use
in cable modem voip adapters.

 > So in stead of discussing the implementation of G729 or G723 over and
 > over again it is maybe time to form a workgroup that tries to achieve
 > a transparent opensource replacement of mentioned codec's that can be
 > used in whatever application.

see above.  i consider it better to push ilbc to all major sip phones
and gws.

-- juha