[Serusers] Ideal server

Matt Schulte mschulte at netlogic.net
Tue Nov 30 14:06:02 CET 2004

Provide a little more info, such as: How many calls per/sec, users total, etc. If you aren't doing any CPU intensive work you could go with an older (rackmount?) server with RAID and redundant power. Stability is what *we* were aiming for, however we realized it wasn't cost effective in our case to buy a 2U Dell poweredge for every IAD. If you went that route, Intel would be easier to find in older servers. Else newer stuff AMD is pretty common. As for hard disks, again it would depend just how redundant you would like to be. If this is your "core" per se, you would want it to be a higher grade than your IAD's or server farm. Or just stick with RAID-1 or no raid at all. :-)

Linux is a flame war, I stick with Redhat (fedora) because I don't have time to widdle away with Gentoo. I would like to use Gentoo, personally.. With fedora you'll have to make sure all devel is installed, mysql, etc.. By default it won't do it.

Good luck!
	Matt