[Serusers] SER and CDR's

Jan Janak jan at iptel.org
Thu Nov 25 21:31:43 CET 2004

What exactly is the problem ? INVITE will always pass the proxy server
so you will always have the START record. If you use record routing and
configured SER to account failed transactions, then you will also see
the STOP records if at least one side is alive and sends a BYE.

If both user agents crash and there is no BYE then ser will, of course,
generate no STOP record. This situation is, IMHO, very unlikely to
happen.

One could argue that malicious user agents can send BYE and yet keep the
session open and continue the conversation (SER cannot terminate the
media stream). This is true if both end points are IP phones, but such
calls cost you nothing (except the network traffic) so you can, IMHO,
ignore that.

If one of the end-points is a PSTN gateway then you can easily verify
that it would terminate the call if it receives a BYE, so even if the IP
phone tries to continue the gateway would terminate the media streams.

Some gateways can also be configured to use the session timer, in that
case the gateway would send re-INVITEs periodically and terminate the
session if it does not receive 200 OK from the remote end point.

  Jan.