[Serusers] performance on nat binding

Jan Janak jan at iptel.org
Sun Nov 14 13:24:00 CET 2004

On 12-11 22:55, Richard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have some SIP UAs behind NAT. It is capable of sending NOTIFY messages to
> keep NAT binding fresh. I am thinking about two setups and would like to
> know which one has less hit on ser's performance.
>
> . Register with ser every 150 seconds, assume that most NAT udp binding is
> 180 seconds.
> . Send Notify every 50 seconds, the NOTIFY includes the authentication nonce
> from REGISTER message. So ser can verify that the message is real and send a
> 200 OK back.
>
> Your option is appreciated.

  Since the purpose of NOTIFY messages is just to get some reply from
  SER and keep the NAT bindings open, I would recommend to put a simple
  test at the beginning of the configuration file and send 200 OK
  immediately, something like:

  if (method == "NOTIFY" && <some test here>) {
  	sl_send_reply("200", "OK");
	break;
  };

  Note that you have to replace <some test here> with something that
  tests if this is one of the NOTIFYs keeping the NAT open, you could
  probably test for some particular value in the Request-URI, or
  something like that. You probably do not want to reply all NOTIFY
  messages this way.

    Jan.