[Serusers] Re: Help with SER + NAT

Allan voip_tango at yahoo.ca
Thu Nov 4 00:38:32 CET 2004

Hi Flynn,

Hope this is not too late for you.  Initially I had a
number of issues getting this working as well.  In the
end I was unable to get the stable 0_8_14 version
working with the version of rtpproxy found at
www.portaone.com.  Not sure why, looking through the
list it seemed the current recommendation was to use
the unstable version from CVS, along with the rtpproxy
version found at the same location.

My first attempt to get everything running on the
unstable version failed as SER could never seem to
find rtpproxy after starting, even after specifying
the location in the ser.cfg file and ensuring the
rtpproxy.sock file had the correct permissions.  I
ended up removing everything and starting over with a
new config file.  The second attempt worked fine.

Here is my version info:

SER Version:
	ser# ser -V
	version: ser 0.8.99-dev12 (i386/freebsd)

RTPProxy Version:
	ser# rtpproxy -v
	20040107

OS Version:
	FreeBSD 4.10

Here are the steps/commands that worked for me (as of
Oct 24th 2004):

1. Get the unstable SER version from CVS:
   - set
CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous at cvs.berlios.de:/cvsroot/ser
export CVSROOT
   - cvs login
   - cvs co sip_router

2. Get version of RTPProxy from CVS
   - cvs co rtpproxy

3. Compile SER
   - cd /root/sip_router
   - gmake install

4. Compile RTPProxy
   - cd /root/rtpproxy
   - ./configure
   - make install

5. Start RTPProxy
   - /usr/local/bin/rtpproxy

6. Replace ser.cfg located in /usr/local/etc/ser with
attached file.

7. Add the following line to the new ser.cfg in the
modparam section of the file.
   - modparam("nathelper","rtpproxy_sock",
"/var/run/rtpproxy.sock")

8. Set debug=3 and log_stderror=yes on your new
ser.cfg file so you can see debug
   information.

9. Start SER
   - /usr/local/sbin/ser

10a. This is what you want to see:
     3(13842)  2(13841) rtpp_test: RTP proxy found,
support for it enabled
     rtpp_test: RTP proxy found, support for it
enabled

10b. This is not what you want to see:
    1(47773) ERROR: send_rtpp_command: can't read
reply from a RTP proxy
    1(47773)  2(47774) WARNING: rtpp_test: can't get
version of the RTP proxy

Also, one of the tests run by the nathelper module
uses RFC1918 (private) addressing in order to
determine if an IP is behind a NAT.  To simplify
troubleshooting in your test environment, only use
private addressing on devices that are actually behind
a NAT.  Also set your debug level to 8 while making
calls and log the output.

The "serctl ul show" command can be used to see how
your NATed phones are registering.  Here is one of my
phones located behind a NAT - 1.1.1.83 is SER and
1.1.1.89 is the NAT device.  The phone IP behind the
NAT is 192.168.0.101.

...Record(0x283a6e10)...
domain: 'location'
aor   : '5551234567 at 1.1.1.83'
~~~Contact(0x283a6e60)~~~
domain    : 'location'
aor       : '5551234567 at 1.1.1.83'
Contact   :
'sip:5551234567 at 1.1.1.89:15060;user=phone;transport=udp'
Expires   : 3592
q         :
Call-ID   : '1457041155 at 192.168.0.101'
CSeq      : 1
replic    : 0
received  : ''
State     : CS_NEW