[Serusers] ser behind firewall?

Zeus Ng zeus.ng at isquare.com.au
Sat May 29 02:40:08 CEST 2004

Like Klaus said, it is quite difficult to set this up in a NAT environment.
The reason you can't do that is because SIP protocol is not just a transport
over IP. There are routing information inside the SIP message. In you case,
your SER will insert a line like

Record-Route: <sip:192.168.0.123;ftag=....> which the upstream (or
downstream, I can't remember) does not know how to reach in subsequence
messages.

By saying that, it doesn't mean you can't achieve it. You need the mangler
module to start with. I've spent several weeks on this but is only 30-40%
complete. Eventually, I gave up as the cost (time for development,
troubleshooting and ongoing support) on putting up such solution well
exceeded the cost of purchasing an extra IP block from the ISP.

Zeus