[Serusers] help with ser

Zeus Ng zeus.ng at isquare.com.au
Fri May 28 04:39:28 CEST 2004

I don't quite follow your questions but I'll try to explain.

With /etc/init.d/ser, if ser dies and does not remove the pid file properly,
you will get the error "ser dead but pid file exists". Normally, ser will
remove the file. You can manually remove it if it wasn't the case. In
redhat, it also create the file /var/lock/subsys/ser which serctl does not
handle. Also, make sure the line

ser=/usr/local/sbin/ser # full path of your ser

The /etc/init.d/ser is more suitable for system boot time and shutdown.
Normally, you should just use serctl to control ser.