[Serusers] Performance tuning

Alex Bligh alex at alex.org.uk
Tue Mar 23 21:24:26 CET 2004

--On 23 March 2004 23:04 +1100 zeusng <zeus.ng at isquare.com.au> wrote:

> Theoretically, I would like to measure the calls/s.

I am doing some work on this in my "copious free time" - it's derived
from kphone and the dissipate stack in its current incarnation, rather
than sipsak. I will publish it (GPL) when it is in a fit state. However,
I am trying to test more components of the system than simply a cps
test (which is really only going to exercise the proxy) - I want to
test the effect of lots of registrations, and of the call audio (for
instance through media proxy). For "just" a SIP cps test you would
probably be best off using something low level (like sipsak) or possibly
going down even further, just capturing some packets, doing some
sprintf's, and using an ncat type approach. As someone pointed out
on a similar thread earlier, the overhead of the test stack/tool is
potentially as much a factor in determining capacity as the effect of
ser for such a simple test.

The reason I'm not doing this type of test is I suspect in many common
deployment environments, straightforward ser cps isn't going to your
performance bottleneck but YMMV.

Alex