[Serusers] authentication recommnedations

Ticknor.Scott at ic.gc.ca Ticknor.Scott at ic.gc.ca
Thu Mar 18 16:32:15 CET 2004

hey Everyone,

me and my partner in the lab here have set up a very simple SER
implementation. up to now we have been using digest authentication with
mysql, and created users with serctl etc.
it was nice to get it working and place some calls, we have a couple cisco
7960 phones as well as X-Lite clients. but in our tests we found that we
could put *any* user name & password in the X-Lite config--and the calls
would still succeed! the message console in X-Lite shows the 401
unautourized response to REGISTER [which is to be expected] but then if we
go ahead and dial...the other phone will ring.

there must be an explanation. i see some people are using RADIUS for
authentication; would a RADIUS implementation solve this problem? i cannot
attach my ser.cfg just now...but it is almost completely stock anyway, the
changes made were uncommenting the digest auth bits, and setting the domain
name.
ideas?

scott t,
DSi