[Serusers] ENUM anyone?

Greg Fausak greg at august.net
Wed Mar 17 14:47:15 CET 2004

Adrian Georgescu wrote:

> Hi Greg,
>
> There is an ongoing project like this using freenum.org TLD. We use it
> to provide access to 0800 numbers in various countries. You may of
> course put up together any TLD for this, the problem is just getting
> enough interest and subsequently scale up your business to support
> delegation requests. There are various requirements you have to fulfill
> like high availability, disaster recovery etc...  Then, when you try to
> become Tier1 you will certainly be on collision course with many. I
> would not like to be in that position, nevertheless you may give it a
> try, we can all learn from it.
>
> Last but not least ENUM is not just about DNS hosting. To see what I
> mean, take a look at my presentation for NAPTR record manipulation from
> RIPE: http://www.ag-projects.com/NAPTR/NAPTRRecordManipulation.ppt

Adrian,

Thanks for your follow up.  High availability and disaster recovery
are par for the course.  I own an ISP, we do that with all of
our services.

I realize that ENUM is a big deal.  I just want to
use ENUM to lookup the SIP server to send a call request to.
It seems that day is a long way off.

I don't want to be a tier1 provider, I just want to get this thing
going.  Why can't a group of people just work together to provide
a combined ENUM service?  it doesn't have to be a business, it
just needs to be a common registration spot for reverse delegation.

I would provide hardware/software/bandwidth/hosting for such an endevor.

---greg