[Serusers] FQDN in Via and Record Route header

Jan Janak jan at iptel.org
Fri Mar 12 14:49:30 CET 2004

In my opinion hostnames should not be used in header fields which are
processed by machines, like Via, Route & Record-Route, and Contact.

Resolving hostnames puts too much burden on the server, it can be
ambiguous (you can get several IPs for a single hostname). Just remember
that you have to send a DNS query each time you resolve a hostname, in a
single message it can be Via, one or more Route headers, and Contact.

The main purpose of hostnames is to allow humans to remember (otherwise hard
to remember) IP addresses. It makes no sense to me to put them in header
fields which are not for humans.

  Jan.