[Serusers] SER and SIP headers (IMS)

Bernie Hoeneisen bhoeneis at switch.ch
Wed Mar 10 20:01:16 CET 2004

Hi Curro!

In case you are planning to implement a new module for the Path header
field, I am not sure whether you have noticed RFC 3327,
 http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3327
which specifies the Path header field on a more general level, than the
3GPP IMS Specs such as 23.228, 24.228, 24.229, etc.

Outside the IMS scenarios, the Path header field could also be used to
overcome blocking firewalls, where one SIP (and Media) Proxy e.g. in a DMZ
(De-Militarized Zone) has to proxy all the traffic. In case your registrar
is outside the blocking firewall, not even the signalling messages ever
arrive at the UA (because those are blocked by the firewall), unless you
are doing some ugly hacks at the (DMZ-) SIP Proxy.
RFC 3327 provides a standardized solution for this problem, which is (as I
heard) already implemented in some other SIP Proxies.

I guess also the 'usrloc' module needs to be enhanced to save and
return the Path vector, and therefore a new column 'path' needs to be
added to the table 'location' and stuff.

Good luck!

Greetings,
 Bernie