[Serusers] NAT problem with Ser 0.8.12, LinkSys and X-Lite

Sat Jun 26 11:15:25 CEST 2004

Bill wrote:
>     I moved ser from inside my office to a public IP address. When I use
> X-Lite it connects to ser, tries to login anonymously and ser sends back the
> Unauthorized packet. When it was in the office X-Lite would then send the
> name/password and login. It doesn't do that now.

when starting x-lite it uses STUN to detect the NAT-methode of your
router. Press F9 in xlite to open the debug window. On top of the debug
messages, xlite writes the kind of the detected NAT-style, e.g. in my case:
        Discovered Symmetric NAT Firewall

What kind of NAT is the LinkSys router?

>     I'm using a LinkSys router. When the packet comes back to the LinkSys
> router from ser it hits the LinkSys at port 5060. I don't believe that's
> correct but I can't figure out how to correct it.

force_rport in ser.cfg should correct this.

>     I enabled nathelper but am not sure what to do next.
>
>     Also, where is the documentation for the nat_uac_test? I can't find a
> single refererence to that in my source code anywhere.

the documentation is sometimes out of date.
http://lists.iptel.org/pipermail/serdev/2003-December/000921.html

you can also take a look at the configuration files in
http://lists.iptel.org/pipermail/serusers/2004-February/005996.html

regards
klaus