[Serusers] Voice Mail options for an SER environment

Matthew John Darnell mdarnell at servpac.com
Tue Jun 15 20:36:08 CEST 2004

> Hello:
>
>   I'm interested in how this community is providing voicemail service
> to IP phone users registered to a SER proxy. If you can speak to this
> point I'd appreciate any feedback you can provide. Specifically I'm
> interested in:
>
> 1) What product is providing voice mail service?

We are the creators of OpenUMS/ConvergePro.  It is an opensource Unified
Messaging server that goes far beyond the features of Asterisk voicemail.
http://www.convergepro.com or https://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxvm/  It
was written 100% in PERL to allow for easy updates and extension.

It is designed to work with Dialogic cards and traditional PBX's.

We are porting it over to the next version of SEMS for the SER community and
eventually to a standard SIP interface for everyone else.  We will be
looking for beta testers in about 2-3 weeks.  Please let me know if anyone
is interested by emailing me at   'mdarnell at servpac.com'

> 2) With this system can users manipulate messages via the
>     telephone set?

Yes, see a version of the user guide
http://www.convergepro.com/files/voiecmail_nodid.pdf  With a server level
integration, when you delete a message through the telephone interface it
moves the message from your inbox to your deleted items...no need to delete
messages twice

> 3) If the answer to #2 is yes then how is this functionality
>     implemented. Do you provision a lead number for users
>     to call into voicemail?

We publish a 7 digit number, if people have Cisco 79XX we use the dialplan
to allow them to dial three digits, and the system recognizes the phone they
came from, there is a setting to allow them to auto-login, or to challenge
them with a password.

-Matt