[Serusers] SER V. ASTERISK

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Mon Jun 14 15:44:13 CEST 2004

Reza Kordi wrote:

> Can somone explain differances between SER and ASTERISK.
SER is a SIP Proxy. It doesn't deliver any phone services. SER
never handles the media stream. (The RTP proxy may, but that's
another story...)

Asterisk is a PBX, it answers and originates calls and tries
desperately to stay in the media stream to be able to deliver
IVR services. Asterisk is multiprotocol and can handle
PSTN termination over PRI and BRI as well as analog lines.

> I am particularly interested in functionality that is not available with
> ASTERISK but SER can provide.

SER is a full SIP proxy with support not only for phone calls,
but for all other types of SIP sessions, like a game of chess,
a whiteboard session, instant messaging... Ser opens up the wonderful
global world of SIP, where Asterisk handles phone calls, and does
it very well, indeed :-)

You can read more on both of them on http://www.voip-info.org

Best regards,
/Olle