[Serusers] can SER do network call forwarding?

Adrian Georgescu ag at ag-projects.com
Mon Jun 14 09:36:22 CEST 2004

Hi Juha,

Let me provide a  real example.

A SIP provider has interconnect from incumbent PSTN operator (Cisco
gateway) using SIP (SER installation). This provider has an E164
number range placed in ENUM. The problem here is that when an ENUM
number is resolved to a remote domain and the destination username is
an alias on the remote domain, the provider proxy will pass the
redirect back to gateway who in term makes the final call.

This provider gets paid by the incumbent for terminating minutes on IP
for those E164 numbers but as the proxy is not in the middle they do
not know how much traffic their numbers generated for anything that is
an alias. The problem in this case is accounting. The Proxy should stay
in the middle of the dialog in this scenario so your function makes
perfect sense.

The provider receiving the calls has no way to account for the calls if
it provxy the redirect.

This scenario is described very nice in Cisco SIP flows documents.