[Serusers] nathelper and asymmetric UAs

Jiri Kuthan jiri at iptel.org
Sun Jul 25 10:24:24 CEST 2004

At 10:00 AM 7/25/2004, James H. Cloos Jr. wrote:
>We are using the example cfg from the cookbook for nathelper.
>
>It explicitly says it is only useful for symmetric UAs.
>
>Is there any mod to that config that will allow asymmetric UAs to
>also work?  The goal here is to Do The Right Thing no matter what
>the users throw at us.

impossible -- if clients are totally NAT ignorant, there is no help
to them. Minimum requirement is they are symmetric, which is fullfilled
by most existing implementations today (I was told one vendor did not
do it till now). Ideally, they do better than that and support
rport, STUN, and are genereally well implemented.

-jiri