[Serusers] Ser + Asterisk + Voicemail

Bill Brigden bill.brigden at aqcorporate.com
Thu Jul 15 17:03:01 CEST 2004

Hi all,

I have been reading the archives for the ser mailing list, as well as
looking round the voip-info.org site, and cant really find an answer to my
question...

We are using ser as a sip proxy + registrar to the subscribers database
(mysql). At the moment it is doing a fine job routing calls between sip
users on the same server + accepting calls from pstn network into the server
(setting up aliases of numbers to users). I have tried using sems, and I can
get it to work - however its more limited than asterisk in terms of
functionality (like being able to call in for voicemail, rather than just
emailing them..)

If I set up a rule to forward to an asterisk server (running on same server,
different port) - how can I handle the auth / setup of the mailbox for them?
Ie. They have already registered on the ser box, so is it possible to link
asterisk in, so that the same username / password is used if people call in
to the voicemail admin to retrieve voicemails? Or, do we have to create the
users twice, once in ser and once in asterisk?

Let me know if I have got the wrong end of the stick (or if I have phrased
it badly!!)

Cheers,
Bill.