[Serusers] route managment

Greg Fausak greg at addabrand.com
Tue Jul 13 22:23:34 CEST 2004

Well, our network has perhaps a dozen gateways.
The configuration isn't too terrible, we've used
the C macro-preprocessor to help.  Here
is one of our gateway configurations:

------start------
#include "sercommon.pre"

/* customize for this server */
#define DOMAIN          named.com
#define LISTENIP        198.212.169.13
#define NATIP           198.212.169.253
#define VMHOSTPORT      vm.named.com:5060
#define DBURL   "sql://named.com@db-myaugust.august.net:5432/myaugust"

/* this is the top section, common to all ser servers */
#include "sertop.pre"
/* this is the custom proxy server */
#include "sergatewayob.pre"
------------stop-----------------

That's the entire thing.  If you know C you can imagine how
this expands out.  This particular file is the same for all gateways.
I can update one 'include' file and regenerate all of the ser.cfg
files.  The file that gets generated with this configuration is
125745 characters in size.

Included in the output is failure routes, voice mail routes,
accounting, etc..  You can go a long way with a few
#ifdefs.

As far as adding new gateways without restarting, can you use the enum
facility?  You can also determine the route of a call by executing
an external process, I think it's called exec_dset, this will allow
you to update an external routing database without restarting ser.

You can have another ser gateway in the loop which selects
the active gateway.  This way you could fire up another ser
instance, switch your ser selector gateway to the new instance, then
wait for 30 seconds or so for the transactions to die on the old
ser...the only problem I would see here is if you have 'registrations',
but
if it is strictly a routing instance of ser this wouldn't be a problem.

I would be interested in participating in a routing database project,
but
I believe a good chunk of the work is already done.  A simple module
to select a route is all that is necessary.

---greg