[Serusers] Five (only!) quick questions

Jeremy M. Dolan jmd at pobox.com
Thu Jul 1 18:22:44 CEST 2004

Question one, most important:
Could someone please summarize how loose_route() actually functions?
I've seen it used in various ways, in various places in the configs
I've come across. The only documentation on the SER implementation is
a reference to all 260 pages of RFC 3261, a skimming of which was
mostly unhelpful. Specifically, does SER's loose_route() modify the
request at all, and most importantly, what determines its return code.

Question two, a long shot:
Anyone have a complete working config of SER acting as a gateway *and*
registrar situated between a 1918 (private) network and the Internet?

Question three, mostly out of curiosity:
The default ser.cfg (in stable CVS) loads the stateful transaction
manager (tm.so), but uses sl_send_reply for all error replies (404,
too many hops, etc). The documentation for the tm module shows t_reply
being used to send a 404 response, however. Is there any advantage to
using the stateful functions for messages like these? Any disadvantage?

Question four, important but not as urgent:
How can I set a timer similar to fr_inv_timer, but on a per-call
basis? For example, I'd like to redirect (with t_relay_to_udp) certain
incoming calls to a voice mail server after a certain amount of time.
Using fr_inv_timer for the timeout, outbound calls also get canceled!
Is there some other way to arrange a routing callback?

Question five, last but not least:
How are "internal" methods like ACK and OPTIONS supposed to be
handled? Is it essential that they fall off the end of the main
route{} block so they can be processed by the locally-running SER?
Does OPTIONS even enter route{}? Can I "break;" them as a short-cut?

One last thing, is anyone currently working on updating the module
documentation? I've come across quite a few errors, and kept track of
them, intending to send in a patch once I have SER up and running and
have to time to tinker with the docs. If someone's handling it
currently I'll just send over my list.

Any help *much* appreciated,
Jeremy

--
Jeremy M. Dolan <mailto:jmd at pobox.com> <http://jmd.us/>
PGP: 1024D/3C68A1BA 9470 210C A476 FFBB 6D11  0223 0D1C ABFC 3C68 A1BA