[Serusers] new MediaProxy release 1.1.0

Adrian Georgescu ag at ag-projects.com
Thu Jul 1 15:53:36 CEST 2004

On Thursday 01 July 2004 14:11, you wrote:
>> On Jun 30, 2004 at 08:53, Ezequiel Colombo <ecolombo at arcotel.net>
>>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi all, i am tested the mediaproxy 1.0.1 version on a dual CPU
>>> (2.6GHz) and
>>> get at least 180 simultaneous calls !
>>> This is a good and very scalable solution to solve NAT related
>>> problems.

Ezequiel's test result seems to be in the expected range (given our own
test
results).

In our tests, on a 1GHz Athlon CPU running linux 2.4.26 we got the
following
results:

mediaproxy reaches 95% CPU load at around 60 simultaneous calls
mediaproxy gets to 100% CPU load at 80-90 calls

rtpproxy reaches 95% CPU load at 120 calls
rtpproxy gets to 100% CPU load at about 150 calls

Given that we discovered that rtpproxy is only at most twice as fast as
mediaproxy, we never bothered to re-implement mediaproxy in C. It's much
easier to stack another box (or even more), than to spend lots of time
in
optimizing a program and in the end to only get it to run twice as fast.

Given that Andrei's results are very different from what our tests
showed, we
suspect that there were some errors in the testing procedure.
Also there is an error in his patch (see comments below for details).
I attached a version of rtpgenerator that was modified to work with
rtpproxy,
but with this error fixed.

>> I tested it on a dual athlon mp2000.
>> I've also modified rtpgenerator to work with nathelper (patch for nh
>> version attached).

Patch has a problem. It sends packets to the same IP as the generator
itself
(the default is 127.0.0.1) and not to the rtpproxy returned IP. This
means
that in it's default configuration it sends from 127.0.0.1 to 127.0.0.1
where
rtpproxy doesn't listen. We tried it and it gets flooded back with "udp
port
unreachable". This explains the high load on the generator you've seen
and
the much lower load on rtpproxy.

>> rtpgenerator has a few drawbacks: it eats more cpu than rtproxy and
>> cannot create more than 510 calls (the python code seems to use
>> internally select witch doesn't work on more than 1024 file
>> descriptors).

You can call poll3 instead of poll, but it is not designed to generate
that
many calls. That's why we limited it to 30 max. If it generates more it
loads
the cpu too much and the results are not conclusive. Instead run
multiple
instances with 30 calls and they should do better. Or run it on a
different
host that the one that runs rtpproxy.

Another problem if you try to generate too many calls with it is that
it won't
be able to send the packets at exactly 20ms time intervals. In this
case you
will see a high load on the generator and a much smaller load on
rtpproxy
itself. (as we noticed the thing that generates the high load on both
mediaproxy and rtpproxy is the combination of many calls with the small
time
interval that the packets arrive at the proxy (10-20 ms). if this time
interval is increased because the generator cannot push that many data
at
every 20ms the load on rtpproxy will decrease very quickly while the
load on
the generator will sharply increase).

As a conclusion, I suggest the following to get results that are closer
reality:

1. Preferably run the generator on another machine.
2. Never use a count higher than 50 (at least for a 1GHz machine) for a
    running instance of the generator. The rule is to not see the
generator
    eat more than 1% of CPU. If you need more calls run multiple
instances of
    the generator to sum up the number of calls.
    (The attached generator accepts up to 50 calls - increased from 30)
3. Specify the commands you used to run both the generator and the
proxy so
    it is easy to spot problems like data being sent to 127.0.0.1 or the
    fact that data is only sent in one direction but never answered
(we've
    seen this sometimes if --ip is not specified)
4. Make sure the data is passing through the proxy. With mediaproxy you
can
    use the sessions.py script of the media_sessions.phtml web page.
    With rtpproxy use iptraf or tcpdump.

In our test on a 1GHz Athlon linux 2.4.26 we got the results specified
at the
beginning of this email running the following commands:

./mediaproxy.py --no-fork --ip=10.0.0.1 --listen=10.0.0.1 --allow=any
./rtpgenerator.py --ip=10.0.0.1 --proxy=10.0.0.1 --g711 --count=30
./rtpgenerator.py --ip=10.0.0.1 --proxy=10.0.0.1 --g711 --count=30

and for rtpproxy:
./rtpproxy -f -l 10.0.0.1 -s /tmp/rtpproxy.sock
./rtp2generator.py --ip=10.0.0.1 --proxy=/tmp/rtpproxy.sock --g711
--count=50
./rtp2generator.py --ip=10.0.0.1 --proxy=/tmp/rtpproxy.sock --g711
--count=50
./rtp2generator.py --ip=10.0.0.1 --proxy=/tmp/rtpproxy.sock --g711
--count=20

In both cases, the CPU load of any generator was under 1%, while the
proxies
reached 95%