[Serusers] Voicemail timers and functionality Question

Jim Burwell jimb at jsbc.cc
Wed Jan 28 21:38:12 CET 2004

One strategy is to use a voice mail system which can be configured wait
a given amount of time before it answers the call, such as Asterisk, and
simply include it as a destination when ringing the end user's phone.
If the user doesn't pick up, the VM system will pick up.  SEMS doesn't
support anything like this at present.  It's not the most aesthetically
pleasing way of doing it, since it results in a every call being
dispatched to the voice mail system.  There are also situations where
this is not desireable, such as when your destination set includes
destinations which are indirect, or go through futher proxy servers, and
thereby make it difficult to determine whether the user or users are
ultimately online or not, forcing the caller to wait for the timeout
when in the case of the user(s) being offline, it should go straight to
VM.  But doing this does make it possible to have a separate timeout for
all INVITES and for VM.

- Jim

Glenn Dalgliesh wrote:

> After reviewing the documentation and mailing list I think I can
> conclude that their is no way currently to have a calls end up at a
> Voicemal process or server based on timeout values, at this time
> provided by fr_ commands, without setting this value for all calls and
> having all call remaining stateful.
>
> If true has anyone found any work arounds to this problem?
> I sawl mention from an email from Jan that it was a feature on the
> list anyone seen any update related to it?
>
> Thanks

|         Jim Burwell - Sr. Systems/Network/Security Engineer, JSBC         |
| "I never let my schooling get in the way of my education." - Mark Twain   |
| "UNIX was never designed to keep people from doing stupid things, because |
|  that policy would also keep them from doing clever things." - Doug Gwyn  |
| "Cool is only three letters away from Fool" - Mike Muir, Suicyco          |
| "..Government in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst     |
|  state an intolerable one.." - Thomas Paine, "Common Sense" (1776)        |
|   Email:  jimb at jsbc.cc                              ICQ UIN:  1695089     |
|  Reply problems ?  Turn off the "sign" function in email prog.  Blame MS. |