[Serusers] Ser with Cisco's IP Phones

Jan Janak jan at iptel.org
Wed Jan 28 12:27:10 CET 2004

On 28-01 05:29, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> Gregory D. Burns wrote:
>
> >Guys,
> >

> >I?m researching the best SIP IP Phone to use with SER. I like the
> >Cisco?s IP phones, the cheapest model being 7902G. Has anyone tested
> >these phones with SER, or can recommend a good Hardware SIP IP Phone to
> >be used in the office and in café?s. Thanks.
>
> I believe that 7902G doesn't support SIP. The cheapest model with SIP is
> 7905G, it works like a charm with SER in our lab. Really sweet and very
> well designed phone.
>
> Please note that by default it comes with Call Manager firmware, and it
> is not very easy to upgrade to SIP, as in default configuration it has
> web-interface locked out and the only way to change firmware to a SIP
> one is to use bootp+tftp server. Also, when ordering phone make sure to
> order 48V DC power supply for it, by default it comes without one, as it
> is designed to use power-over-ethernet available on Cisco Catalyst
> switches (unless of course you are planning to connect it to such switch).

  I have 7905 and there are some pitfalls too. The phone can dial only
  numbers, handsfree works only one way -- you are able to hear the
  remote party but they will not hear you, and it is not possible to
  decline a call when somebody calls you.

  I agree that Cisco phones in general are very well designed.

   Jan.