[Serusers] NATHelper

Kevin Chu kevin.chu at viditec.com
Tue Jan 20 16:27:59 CET 2004

Hi Maxim,

I am highly interested for the ser/rtpproxy on NAT box solution.
May I know when that solution will be available?

Thanks,
Kevin

---
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 12:58:02 +0200
From: Maxim Sobolev <sobomax at portaone.com>
Subject: Re: [Serusers] NATHelper
To: Craig Graham <craig at twolips-translations.co.uk>
Cc: serusers at lists.iptel.org

Craig Graham wrote:

> I have a very small setup; at the office there's a few machines behind an
> Intertex IX66 NAT box, that does a fairly good job of SIP as far as we can
> tell from the few connections we've had to other sites.
>
> At home, I have a few machines behind a Linux box, doing NAT. All user
> machines are running MS Messenger.
>
> For a long time I've been trying to get a decent SIP service at home. I've
> tried both Partysip and Siproxd, both of which give me voice connections
but
> no presence, IM, video or additional streams for whiteboards or
Messenger's
> "application sharing."
>
> I've been picking up snippets about NATHelper, which as I understand it
> allows SER to run on a NAT box and allow people to call across the NAT
box.
> However, I've also seen a couple of messages that suggest that as of
October
> this module was only handling single audio streams, which is the same as I
> have at the moment with Partysip and Siproxd. Is my understanding right
and
> I'll have to wait a bit longer before trying SER, or does it already do
> multistream?

Multistream is video + audio, right? If so, then yes, only single audio
stream is supported at the moment, though it would be trivial to add
support for multistream as well. Please also note that currently I am
working on next version of nathelper/rtpproxy, which would allow
"bridging", i.e. the configuration when ser/rtpproxy runs on NAT box,
listens on both private and public addresses and relays SIP/RTP traffic
between public and private interfaces.

-Maxim