[Serusers] NATHelper

Craig Graham craig at twolips-translations.co.uk
Tue Jan 20 11:38:33 CET 2004

I have a very small setup; at the office there's a few machines behind an
Intertex IX66 NAT box, that does a fairly good job of SIP as far as we can
tell from the few connections we've had to other sites.

At home, I have a few machines behind a Linux box, doing NAT. All user
machines are running MS Messenger.

For a long time I've been trying to get a decent SIP service at home. I've
tried both Partysip and Siproxd, both of which give me voice connections but
no presence, IM, video or additional streams for whiteboards or Messenger's
"application sharing."

I've been picking up snippets about NATHelper, which as I understand it
allows SER to run on a NAT box and allow people to call across the NAT box.
However, I've also seen a couple of messages that suggest that as of October
this module was only handling single audio streams, which is the same as I
have at the moment with Partysip and Siproxd. Is my understanding right and
I'll have to wait a bit longer before trying SER, or does it already do
multistream?

--
Dr. Craig Graham, Software Engineer
Advanced Analysis and Integration Limited, UK. http://www.aail.co.uk/