Testing NAT types (was: Re: [Serusers] Re: RESOLVED - nathelper / calling UAs behind symmetric NATs)

Jan Janak jan at iptel.org
Tue Jan 6 01:39:16 CET 2004

Well, if the UAs use STUN properly, that means they use STUN only when
they detect a NAT that can be traversed with STUN, then it should work.

STUN will make the messages to look like they were coming from a UA in
the public internet and thus the nathelper will not force the RTP proxy.

UAs behind symmetric NAT should not use STUN-obtained IP addresses (because
it would be useless anyway) and send private IP addresses. In this case the
nathelper module will detect that the UA is behind a NAT and force RTP
proxy.

  Jan.