[Serusers] Fedora ?

Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul pelinescu-onciul at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Sun Jan 4 15:21:41 CET 2004

On Jan 02, 2004 at 17:57, Alessio Focardi <alessiof at interconnessioni.it> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm going to install SER on a production machine.
>
> Normally I would have used Red Hat 9, that is also my "developement"
> platform ... I'm wondering if its better to install fedora
> instead, that will remain free.
>
> Any suggestion on that matter ?

There are some known issues with ser & redhat:

- on RH 8.0 if you use the default ser rpm init.d start script, ser
  won't start at boot. It seems RH initlog doesn't like ser, and won't
  start it (RH init.d daemon function uses initlog internally). To test
  this try initlog ser. If nothing happens (and ser doesn't start), your
  RH has this problem.
  It seems RH 9 is better with respect to this. Its initlog fails only
  "sometimes". I don't know about Fedora.
  BTW: if somebody has a more indepth knowledge of these initlog
  problems we would appreciate some help.

- some RH 8.0 have a libc regex bug ( ^Something will never match in
  case insensitive mode, which is what textops search & replace
  functions use). It seems that updated RH 8s do not have this problem.

Almost all of us (ser developers) use mainly Debian, so ser on Debian
gets more attention.

Andrei