[Serusers] Do these SIP dumps look right ("group" locations entry) ?

Jim Burwell jimb at jsbc.cc
Thu Jan 1 00:25:43 CET 2004

Hi,

I was having some problems with calls to what I call "group" locations
entries.  These are entries where users enter their own SIP address for
a particular location entry.  The desired behavior is that when someone
calls this "group" user, multiple other users phones will ring, and if
not answered, voice mail will be called for the original "group" callee
user.  This doesn't seem difficult, but turns out to be a little tricky
if the users enter the more logical, flexible, and user friendly
"sip:user at samedomain" style addresses instead of "sip:user at ip:port".
Obviously, requiring possibly non technical end users to enter the
IP:port of all their phones for these group users is unacceptable.
Using these domain style "indirect" entries is far nicer, since SER
ultimately simply looks up all the users' registered phones in the
locations table transparently.

Using "sip:user at samedomain" style locations destinations causes these
calls to fork back through SER a second time (spiraling back through
SER) for each destination.  This is where I ran into a problem as far as
voice mail was concerned.  When each branch of this call (each separate
destination in the destination set) was forked back through SER, if the
particular user in any given branch was a member of the voice mail
group, a voice mail timeout would be set for each, ultimately resulting
in a separate call to the voice mail system for each user, for the same
call!  This caused mass confusion in SER and the voice mail system,
resulting in a failed voice mail call, for obvious reasons.

The solution was to make sure that in this special case, that only the
original "group" user gets queued for a voice mail timeout, and any
other branches spiraling back through SER did not cause voice mail to be
set up.  Unfortunately, there's no easy way that I could figure out to
test for this condition in ser.cfg, since these forked branches look
just like normal calls to these users (which would be proper to set up a
voice mail timeout for).  The solution I came up with was to require
users to use a special prefix, "g+",  when entering their SIP URIs into
the group locations entries, marking them for special treatment.  The
ser.cfg then simply looks for URIs that have the prefix "g+", and if
present, makes sure that no voice mail failure_route is set up for these
branches.  Right before the locations lookup is done, the "g+" prefix is
stripped off, and the branch proceeds to call the users phone(s)
normally.  Pretty simple, user friendly, and requires no special
external script, etc, to be called.  Viola!  It worked.  But with some
misgivings.

This solution actually worked in all my testing.  However, I'm troubled
by some of the SIP dumps of these calls I've examined.  Particularly, I
noted how for whatever reason, there seems to be multiple
repeated/redundant  "408  time out" messages sent back and forth between
SER and the phones.  Also, for whatever reason, the caller's phone sends
repeated ACKs, which get routed to the voice mail system, even after it
has answered and is already talking to the VM system.

Do these traces look right ?  Am I just being paranoid ?  Please advise!
(ser.cfg and traces attached as ZIP file.  Sorry! It would be too big
for the list otherwise!)

- Jim

|         Jim Burwell - Sr. Systems/Network/Security Engineer, JSBC         |
| "I never let my schooling get in the way of my education." - Mark Twain   |
| "UNIX was never designed to keep people from doing stupid things, because |
|  that policy would also keep them from doing clever things." - Doug Gwyn  |
| "Cool is only three letters away from Fool" - Mike Muir, Suicyco          |
| "..Government in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst     |
|  state an intolerable one.." - Thomas Paine, "Common Sense" (1776)        |
|   Email:  jimb at jsbc.cc                              ICQ UIN:  1695089     |
|  Reply problems ?  Turn off the "sign" function in email prog.  Blame MS. |