[Serusers] replication and rtpproxy

Andres andres at telesip.net
Fri Feb 27 02:14:03 CET 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arnd Vehling" <av at nethead.de>
To: "Andres" <andres at telesip.net>
<nils at iptel.org>; <serusers at lists.iptel.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2004 3:11 PM
Subject: Re: [Serusers] replication and rtpproxy

> Andres wrote:
> > We use DNS updates.
>
> So, whats the expire setting in your zonefile?
5 minutes

One issue here could be
> that some large ISPs doesnt honor small expire settings in zone-files
> and clients using such a dns resolver _wont_ get an updated ip-address
> but get hung on the old one.

That is a possibility,  But so far we have not encountered it and we have
clients in 10 countries.  In any case if it works for only 95% of customers
then we will be quite happy.  So far it has worked for 100% of our
customers.

> > We have special scripts based on sipsak (Thanks Nils!),
> > that check all SIP servers every minute.
>
> So failover time is one minute?!
Yes.  But the DNS expire time is 5 minutes so I would go by the higher
number.

> > If something is wrong, then we
> > update our DNS dynamically to point to another SIP Server.  If the UAs
are
> > unable to register then they redo their DNS query
>
> Youre _sure_ that every UAC will do this? With wich UACs did you test
this?
We only support 3 UACs on our network.  ATA, BT, SPA and it works on all 3.