[Serusers] replication and rtpproxy

Arnd Vehling av at nethead.de
Thu Feb 26 06:28:08 CET 2004

Hi,

Nils Ohlmeier wrote:
> The new  module is only available under commercial license. And as
> you guess it is implemented much more cleaner ;) and more reliable.

Guessed that ;)

> t_replicate just forwards the request to another destination and consumes the
> answer. And this dirty in many ways, but works for some simple scenarios.

Mhh, i dont get that. It does only replicate the subscription, right?
Call transactions are not synced, right?

> As currently the rtp-proxy has to run on the same host as SER it does not make
> much sence IMHO to think about taking over rtp-proxy sessions. Then you would
> need some  kind of rtp-proxy session replication,

that was what i was thinking about.

> which should be easy when
> the nathelper module and the rtp proxy ever uses IP protocol for
> communication. But all this will only work if the backup server takes over
> the IP of the failed server, and you are not using SRV backup servers for
> example (except that a SRV backup can obviously also can takeover the IP).

Thats the case. I am working on a simple setup using linux-ha with
heartbeat, ip failover and native mysql db synchronisation.

> Sounds like a nice and long-term HA project.

I dont hope so :) Actually ive never had any serious HW failures
on one of "my" 24/7 systems i managed over the years. Therefore i think
a simple linux HA solution should work well as long as youre not going
for "carrier class" services in terms of reliably and CPS.

> But as RTP-proxying is (normaly)
> only a fix for to many or broken NATs i think it would be a doubtfull
> project.

Youre probaly right about that. IMO NAT traversal will not be a problem
anymore with the new devices like the new grandstream and motorola
routers with integrated SIP support and other forms of enhanced NAT
devices. Although it will take a while until all of those old nat
devices will cease to exist.

thanx,

    Arnd