[Serusers] about distributed SER

Tue Feb 10 08:34:34 CET 2004

Details: ser caches user lcoations, that means, if it lookup() a user,
ser does not query the database as the user lcoations are stored in RAM.
New REGISTER are stored by save(). The writeback into the database can
be done immediately (safe, but slower) or delayed (not so safe, but
faster). more info on this can be found in the README of the userloc module.

So, now you know the basics to build up your system, e.g:
- 2 proxies + data bases

--------------+    replicated REGISTER     +------------+
| active proxy| -------------------------> |backup proxy|
--------------+                            +------------+
        |data                                      |data
        |base                                      |base
        |write                                     |write
        |through                                   |through
        V                                          V
----------------+                          +---------------+
|active database|                          |backup database|
----------------+                          +---------------+

if the active proxy or database fails, you have to switch over to the
bakup combination (manually or autmatically).

You could also use only one database, but than only the active proxy is
allowed to save() to the database.

You could also make the database failover transparent to the SIP proxy:
2 databases with replication enabled, and if the main one fails, the
backup db takes the IP address of the failed one.

So, these are some theoretical solutions. I hope the guys which uses ser
in production environments have some comments on this.

regards,
Klaus

PS: always CC to the list