[Serusers] Limiting Calls per registrar

Jiri Kuthan jiri at iptel.org
Mon Feb 9 00:39:39 CET 2004

I personaly think it is more interesting to encourage making calls rather
than banning it.

Nevertheless, if you wish to ban calls based on user's status, then you
must remember it somewhere. A simple possibility is to write a call
stateful module which will keep a list of calls in some table. New calls
will appear in the table (best inspiration can be imho found in the
accounting module), all new call attempts will be checked against it.

To make sure that dead phones will not result in calls which are never
terminated, you may wish to configure SER to use session timer. If the
party, which understands session-timer, is still alive it will be able
to detect the other party is dead and terminate the call. That's mostly
ok -- people typicaly deploy all kind of limitations for calling to
PSTN gateways and they are comfortable with delegating the accuracy job to
them.

If you don't wish to rely on accuracy of UAs, you may wish to write
a B2BUA on your own. Such a server will then keep track of call and
will be able to terminate it on its own. That's however quite some work.

-jiri