[Serusers] CDR Issues

Jiri Kuthan jiri at iptel.org
Thu Dec 30 23:25:03 CET 2004

At 04:14 PM 12/30/2004, Matt Schulte wrote:
>> I don't like the idea of having 2 or 3 programs in my path.
>
>Neither do I :-) Asterisk is a stateful *ahem* softswitch/proxy, that
>always generates a BYE. It communicates directly with whatever it
>connects to, unless you redirect of course. I wouldn't use Asterisk for
>this purpose of course for many reasons either, I was just making a
>point :-)

Which was right.

A technique I favor is relying on trustable media gateway. Trustable means
it is in your hands and you can rely on it to detect dead calls (either
by lack of RTCP or using session-timer) and hang up properly.

However, in production environments a CDR mediation devices ideally collects
CDRs from the gateway -- the reasons is that the gateway knows all information
best. All in all, it is the place which provides the service in question.
It knows even media status and PSTN signaling status.

Well -- people may wonder why I am mentioning just the case with PSTN gateway.
What happens if there is no such and it is an IP-to-IP call? My suggestion

is to forget charging and producing CDRs.

-jiri